Feline Rescue, Inc. , a no-kill shelter in St. Paul, Minnesota. Throughout the month I'll share information about Feline Rescue, Inc. and feature some of the wonderful kitties who are available for adoption.
I recently visited Feline Rescue, Inc. and learned a little more about their organization. Jocelyn LeBerge, a longtime volunteer, was kind enough to lead me on a tour of the facility and answer all my questions. Here are some facts I learned about this very special organization.
- It was founded in 1997 and five years ago they moved to a larger location.
- Their mission is to provide safe shelter, veterinary care, and socialization for stray, abandoned, or abused cats until good permanent homes can be found for them.
- Up to 70 cats are housed at the adoption center with 150 adoptable kittens, nursing mothers, and special-needs cats living in the extended foster network.
- Most of the cats are free-roaming and never kenneled. The only reasons cats are kenneled are due to introduction to a new space, medical necessity, or during behavioral rehabilitation.
- Their outreach program focuses on feral colony management, TNR, and low-cost spay/neuter programs.
|Volunteers, Dawn and Jocelyn|
I was especially impressed with the efforts of the volunteers to ensure the cats are placed in the right spot in the shelter. In addition to the free-roaming areas and kennels, they offer special rooms for FIV-positive cats and shy cats (who are a little on the skittish side with humans). One very sweet kitty named Sammy even has a bachelor pad of his very own because some of the other cats bully him when he roams freely. In general, Feline Rescue, Inc. has a very peaceful and loving atmosphere -- the kitties get to listen to classical music and volunteers built tall perching towers and crouching cubbies for the residents to enjoy.
|Cozy beds and lookout spots!|
As I previously mentioned, Catladyland will feature Feline Rescue, Inc. throughout the month of February. How can you help? There are many ways!
- Make a monetary donation with PayPal via the ChipIn widget on the bottom of this post or on the right-hand sidebar of this blog -- any amount helps! The goal is to raise $300 by the end of the month. I know we can do this!
- Minneapolis/St. Paul area people can donate supplies -- I will even drive to you and pick them up! There is a standing need for paper towels (the inexpensive kind are fine) and bleach. They also would love to have small donut-style beds (not the expensive bigger ones), dish soap, wand toys, and simple furry mice.
- Local people can also volunteer! Check out volunteer opportunities on their website.
- A fantastic way to help is to adopt a kitty from Feline Rescue Inc....or any rescue organization! Petfinder is a great place to begin your search!
- Re-post this post on your blog and/or share on Facebook/Twitter. It would be WONDERFUL if you'd place the ChipIn widget on your blog! The more we get the word out, the more we HELP!
|Kitties in the "shy room."|
Thank you in advance for participating in any way in Catladyland's Hearts 4 Paws drive and stay tuned for regular posts about this compassionate, dedicated organization and the cats that are looking for families. Open your heart this Valentine's season to the kitties at Feline Rescue, Inc!